- Saturday, January 30—Arrive in Los Cabos, embark ship at La Paz
- Sunday, January 31—Isla San Francisco
- Monday, February 1—Isla Bahía Agua Verde
- Tuesday, February 2— Marine life search in Bahía Magdalena
- Wednesday, February 3—Captain’s choice
- Thursday, February 4—Los Islotes and Isla Partida
- Friday, February 5— Isla Espiritu Santo
- Saturday, February 6—La Paz (disembark) and San José del Cabo
About Our Destination
Being Gay in Baja
Mexico’s beach cities are very gay friendly. In fact, three states have legalized same-sex civil unions!
In late January and early February, the average highs are 75-85°F and the average lows are 62-72°F. Make sure to bring a windbreaker as it can get very windy on the ship.
The Mexican peso is the official currency; however, US dollars are accepted in all ports of call.
Spanish is the most widely spoken language in Mexico, but English is also spoken widely.
Before Your Trip
What Is Included?
- Accommodations for 8 days and 7 nights on the Safari Endeavor
- Meet-and-greet service from the San José del Cabo airport on January 30, 2021
- Transfer from Los Cabos Airport to host hotel, Barceló Grand Faro Los Cabos, on January 30, 2021
- Storage of your luggage and carry-on luggage until departure to ship
- Day use of host hotel resort facilities with refreshments and lunch on January 30, 2021
- Hospitality room at host hotel on January 30, 2021
- Group bus transfer from Barceló Grand Faro Los Cabos to the ship (between 3:30 and 4 pm) on January 30, 2021, approximately a 2½- to 3-hour drive
- Group transfer from ship in La Paz to Los Cabos Airport or host hotel on February 6, 2021
- Meals as indicated on itinerary
- All beverages, including premium brand drinks, wines, coffee, tea, and soft drinks
- All land, snorkeling, zodiac, and kayaking excursions
- Services of the UnCruise expedition leader
- Enthusiastic staff, knowledgeable about the region we’re visiting
- Use of full-body wet suits, kayaks, paddleboards, and snorkeling equipment
- SPF-30 sunblock, environmentally safe for people and critters
- All port charges and service taxes
- Gratuities for the ship’s crew
- Olivia staff assistance throughout
What’s Not Included?
- Air transportation
- Internet access—there is NO INTERNET ACCESS available on board the ship, not even to purchase… prepare to UNPLUG for the week!
- Nondiscountable amounts (NDA), such as port taxes, gratuities, and fees; although these are not included in the price of the trip, they were already noted in your invoice
Unexpected events can cause you to cancel your vacation. Because we are committed to this charter, we must strictly adhere to our cancellation policy as outlined in our Olivia Terms & Conditions.
2021 Whales & Sea of Cortez Adventure Cruise
Cancellation 365 days or more prior to trip date
50% of trip cost
Cancellation 0-364 days prior to trip date
100% of trip cost
Passport and Visa
You will need a passport that is valid for six months past the start date of the trip. If you are a US citizen, you DO NOT need to get a visa.
If you are not a US citizen, please check with both your country’s consulate and the Mexican consulate to make sure that you do not need an entry visa or other additional documentation.
Please check with your local public health department or personal physician regarding immunization recommendations for your itinerary. You may also check the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s website at www.cdc.gov. Just click on “Traveler’s Health” and then “Vaccinations.”
Olivia recommends that you purchase a travel protection plan to protect yourself and your trip investment from the unexpected. Now more than ever it’s extremely important to think about the unexpected. It is important to purchase the travel protection within 15 days of your initial invoice date in order to receive the most coverage. Consider travel protection for trip cancellation, delay, and interruption; baggage delay; emergency medical services and emergency evacuation; and more. Click here for a few reasons why it is a great idea to consider travel insurance.
Joining the Olivia Trip Group on Facebook
If you’d like to chat with people who are going on the trip, sign up for the Facebook group page.
Travel and Arrival
You will need to fly into and out of Los Cabos (SJD).
Please check our airline discounts page for the latest discounts: http://olivia.com/Travel/CalendarContent/AirfareDeals.aspx
Arrival and Departure Times
Arrivals: For all flights arriving into Los Cabos (SJD) on January 30, 2021, please arrive no later than 2:30 pm. You will be transferred from the airport to our host hotel to rest before our group transfer departs at approximately 4 pm for La Paz. The drive from the host hotel to La Paz will be approximately 2 ½ to 3 hours.
Departures: For all flights departing out of Los Cabos (SJD) on February 6, 2021, please choose a flight that departs after 1 pm. You will be transferred directly to the Los Cabos airport after breakfast. An option to be dropped off at our host hotel will be available for those who either book late flights, departing after 5 pm, or are overnighting in Los Cabos. These guests leaving on late flights or overnighting in Cabo will need to arrange their own transportation to the airport.
Olivia’s Preferred Travel Agency
We are pleased to announce Olivia’s partnership with Conlin Travel. Conlin Travel is one of the “Top 50” Travel Agencies in the country ranked alongside some of the globe’s largest agencies. In business for almost 60 years, Conlin Travel’s core belief is aligned with Olivia’s in delivering personal concierge service to each and every traveler, every time. A full-service, gay-friendly agency with staff located across the country, Conlin Travel looks forward to assisting you with your air travel and hotel reservations for stays outside of Olivia’s pre- and post-trip packages. For air and hotel bookings, a small fee will be applied to your overall cost. For assistance, please call Conlin Travel: 1-888-278-1698
Olivia Travel Gear Store
To help you get ready for your vacation, we’ve partnered with New Headings to create Olivia Travel Gear, our own online gear and apparel store, featuring items from leading brands, including Craghoppers, Patagonia, Teva, Outdoor Research, and Eagle Creek. Visit olivia.newheadings.com for more information!
During Your Trip
UnCruise Safari Endeavor Ship Amenities
- Dock platform designed for easy launching of kayaks, paddleboards, and skiffs
- On-deck hot-tub, sauna, and fitness equipment
- Large AV screen in the lounge
- DVD and book library
- Wine bar
- Bar stocked with included premium spirits, wines, and microbrews
- Adventure equipment: kayaks, paddleboards, inflatable skiffs, hiking poles, yoga mats, snorkel gear, wet suits, hydrophone (underwater listening device), and bow-mounted underwater camera
- Observation deck
- Sun deck
- iPod/MP3/universal docking station and alarm clock
- Flat-screen TV and DVD player
- Hair dryer, bathrobes, conditioning shampoo, and body wash
- Binoculars and reusable water bottles
A program outlining each day will be posted on the bulletin board by the lounge daily and will be on your in-cabin TV for reference.
Open Seating Policy
The entire dining area is open seating for all meals. Dining room hours will be posted in the Daily Program.
There is one restaurant on board. Some of the breakfasts and lunches are served buffet or family style; others are served as a sit-down meal. You’ll have a choice of 2 or 3 entrees for lunch and dinner (usually meat, fish, or vegetarian). Almost all dietary needs can be accommodated with advanced notice, including vegan.
If you have any celebrations and birthdays during the trip that you have not already advised your travel consultant about, please let us know of this information as soon as possible but no less than 90 days prior to the trip.
Specific Needs—Medical, Mobility, Dietary, and Otherwise
If you have any medical, mobility, or specific dietary requirements that you have not already advised your travel consultant about, please let us know as soon as possible, but not less than 90 days prior. Please advise us of this information as soon as possible but no less than 90 days prior to the trip.
Outlets throughout the ship are US style: 110 volts, 60 Hz.
There are no elevators on the ship. Guests must be able to navigate very steep stairs.
Email and Internet
Internet access IS NOT AVAILABLE on board. Prepare to “unplug” completely during the week. Some mobile phone companies have data signal in a few places near major cities on the coast, but it is not reliable. Please check with your carrier.
Gratuities are included in the cost of your trip. Gratuities go to the naturalists, cabin stewards, dining room staff, and other behind-the-scenes crew members. Should you wish to tip additionally, this is up to you.
Please note the ship does not have laundry facilities on board.
There is an emergency medical technician on board for any minor emergencies. There is no charge for this service. However, should you need further medical care, the ship will go to the closest port for assistance. For your own protection, we highly recommend you are covered with medical-evacuation insurance.
Money for Onboard Purchases
There is very little to charge or pay for on board since most everything is included. At the end of your trip, you may opt to pay for small purchases through cash or credit card. No cash advances are possible.
The ship is completely nonsmoking except for an outdoor area of a specified area on board. Smoking is not permitted indoors, including in cabins.
Solo travelers can mix and mingle with everyone; we often have a few independent travelers on trips of this size, which do not have Solo coordinators. Before the trip, you can start to meet other solos and travelers online in the official Olivia Whales & Sea of Cortez Adventure Facebook group.
No telephones are available on board except for emergencies. There are a few stops in local towns where you can make calls, if needed. Cell service depends on your carrier and locations. Some of the more remote locations do not have service.
After Your Trip
We disembark after breakfast for our transfers to Los Cabos airport or, for those with flights after 5 pm or who are extending their time in Los Cabos, to the host hotel. Note that there will be a hospitality room available on February 6 at the host hotel, but the day-use pass of the hotel facilities is not available. There are plenty of restaurants and shopping around the hotel to enjoy before being transferred to the airport for a flight after 5 pm that day. If you are staying at a different property in San José/Los Cabos, you can take a cab from the host hotel to your final destination.
We do not offer Vacation Stretchers for this trip. However, information on how to book the host hotel or a more upscale property can be found on our Vacation Stretcher tab approximately 6-9 months prior to the trip.
Didn’t find what you are looking for? Check out our Olivia travel FAQ. Or call us at 800-631-6277 or 415-962-5700, option 1.