Welcome to France! We’ll take a train and motor coach from Paris, the City of Lights, through Burgundy to board our
ship in France’s gastronomic capital, Lyon. Enjoy Bastille Day festivities in Lyon during the day, then watch the evening’s
fireworks from the Poetry II! Our trip down the Rhône, through the Rhône Valley, begins with a visit to Tain l’Hermitage
(and its excellent chocolate shop), medieval Tournon, with a castle dating in part to the 10th century, and charming
Viviers, which has the smallest cathedral in France. In Provence, we’ll tour Avignon, a fortress city with an amazing
Palace of the Popes (and convenient for an optional excursion to the Pont du Gard or Châteauneuf-du-Pape for wine
tasting!) and Arles, famous for its Roman amphitheater and landscape that inspired Van Gough. We end our trip in Port Saint-Louis-du-Rhône, from which we can visit the Camargue Regional Nature Park to tour an oyster farm or possibly see
flamingos. Plan your days as you like, with guided walking tours included in most every port as well as optional tours for
wine tasting! And perhaps borrow one of the ship’s bicycles for a leisurely bike ride. Book early—the 2020 trip sold out!
- Tain-l’Hermitage and Tournon
- Viviers, Lock Bollène, and Avignon
For more information about your ship, Avalon's ms Poetry II, click here.
- Train transfer from host hotel in Paris to our ship, the Avalon Poetry II, in Lyon on July 13, 2021
- Sightseeing tours in Lyon, Tournon, Viviers, Avignon, Arles, and Port-Saint-Louis-du-Rhône
- Accommodations for 8 days and 7 nights with Comfort Collection beds and Egyptian super-combed cotton linens
- All meals while on board, with a French cheese and French cuisine option each evening
- Champagne with breakfast; coffee, tea, and juice with all meals; wine from France’s most famous wine regions,
beer, and soft drinks with lunch and dinner; premium coffee, cappuccino, lattes, cocoa, and tea throughout the
day; and bottled water replenished in cabin daily
- Cookies and fresh fruit available throughout the day
- Wifi on board
- Bicycle and Nordic walking sticks loaned while docked
- Gratuities to ships staff and to your tour guide and bus driver (if you wish to tip more, this is up to you)
- Olivia’s signature entertainment and programming
- Local entertainment, commentaries while cruising, and historic talks by local expert and Avalon Cruise Director
- Group transfer from ship in in Port-Saint-Louis-du-Rhône to Marseille airport on July 20, 2020 (for flights departing
after 10:30 am)
- Olivia staff assistance throughout
PLEASE NOTE: This trip requires some mobility without the use of a wheelchair or scooter, as most of the tours are walking tours for up to
3 hours, which may include walking on cobblestone streets and stairs. A “Gentle Walkers” group is offered on most
included walking tours, which accommodates those needing a little extra time and sometimes offers a shortened version
of a tour, designed to encounter as few stairs as possible.
If you are bringing a portable wheelchair or collapsible travel scooter, you must be able to collapse it and store it in your
cabin. It cannot be used to get around the ship, only while off the ship on tours that are wheelchair/scooter accessible. On
tours, the usefulness of a portable wheelchair or scooter may be limited because we will be navigating cobblestone
streets with hard curbs (no curb cutouts) and stairs.
If you have limited mobility, you are required to travel with someone who can assist you.
To learn more about your trip, please click here. For more information about what’s not included, and other things you should know before you go, please click here.
For room options, pricing and availability, please click here.
Olivia is happy to offer payments plans and accepts VISA, MasterCard and Discover: Payment Plan
We will be offering 1-, 2-, and 3-day pre-trip Vacation Stretchers in Paris and 1- and 2-night post-trip Vacation Stretchers
in Marseille. Information on these packages will be available approximately 11 months before the trip begins.
READY TO BOOK?
Call 800-631-6277 or 415-962-5700 option 1 for more information or to secure your space now!