About Our Destination
- The Mexican peso is the official currency; however, $USD is accepted in all ports of call.
- Spanish is the main language, but English is spoken widely.
- Being Gay in Baja
- Mexico’s beach cities are very gay-friendly. In fact, three states have legalized same-sex civil unions!
- Saturday, April 5 – Arrive La Paz or Los Cabos/Embark ship at La Paz
- Sunday, April 6 – Isla Carmen
- Monday, April 7 – Isla San Marcos Baja and the Sea of Cortez
- Tuesday, April 8 – Isla Santa Catalina
- Wednesday, April 9 – Isla San Jose
- Thursday, April 10 – Islas Partida and Espiritu Santo
- Friday, April 11 – Exploring the Sea of Cortez
- Saturday, April 12 – La Paz/Disembark ship at La Paz
NOTE: Itinerary is subject to change based on whale/dolphin sightings and weather.
Before Your Trip
- What’s Included and What’s Not
- What is included?
- Accommodations for 8 days/7 nights on the National Geographic Lindblad Expeditions’ Sea Bird
- Round-trip group transfers from Los Cabos/La Paz airports to ship (on April 5, 2014 and April 12, 2014)
- Meals as indicated on itinerary
- Coffee, tea & soft drinks
- All land, snorkeling, zodiac, and kayaking excursions
- National Geographic Naturalists and Expedition Leader
- Services of a National Geographic Photographer and Photography lessons
- Use of wet suits, kayaks and snorkeling equipment
- All port charges and service taxes
- Gratuities to the ship’s crew
- One expedition DVD per household
- Olivia staff assistance throughout
- What’s not included?
- Air transportation
- Incidentals on board, wine and alcohol
- Spa services, including massage
- Travel documentation and identification
- You will need a passport that is valid for six months past the date of the trip. If you are not a U.S. citizen, please check with both your country’s consulate and the Mexican consulate to make sure that you do not need an entry visa or other additional documentation.
- If you are a U.S. Citizen, you DO NOT need to get a visa ahead of time. If you are not a U.S. citizen, please check with both your country’s consulate and the Mexican consulate to make sure you do not need an entry visa or other additional documentation.
- Though none are required, please check with your local Public Health Department or personal physician regarding immunization requirements. You may also check the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s website at: www.cdc.gov. Just click on “Traveler’s Health” followed by “Vaccinations.”
- Travel insurance
- Travel insurance is available from Travel Guard. For information visit travelguard.com/olivia or call Travel Guard at 1-866-420-0125.
- Joining the Olivia.com trip group
- If you’d like to chat with people who are going on this trip, sign up for the official Olivia trip group.
Travel and arrival
- Air travel
- Where to fly into/out of
- You will need to fly into and out of La Paz (LAP) or Los Cabos (SJD).
- Suggested arrival/departure times
- Arrivals: If you are arriving into La Paz (LAP) on April 5, 2014, please arrive by 6:00 p.m.
- Hint: Many people arrive a day early into LAX and stay overnight at a local hotel by the LAX airport. Last year many stayed at the Four Points Sheraton, Renaissance and Westin Hotels – all nice hotels at reasonable rates with complimentary airport transfers.
- If you are arriving into Los Cabos (SJD) on April 5, 2014 (flights may be cheaper this way), please plan to arrive by 1:30pm. Your 2 ½ -3 hour group transfer will depart from the airport to the ship at approximately 2:30pm.
- Departures: If you are departing from La Paz on April 12, 2014, please make you flight for any time after 11:00am
- If you are departing out of Los Cabos (SJD) on April 12, 2014, please make your flight for after 1:10:pm. You will be transferred directly to the Los Cabos airport after breakfast.
- Discount airfare offer
- The AA discount code A1134AA is good for 7% off and applies to flights in and out of Los Cabos (SJD). Dates of travel are March 30 – April 19, 2014. Airfare can be booked no earlier than 11 months before the trip. This reservation can be booked by calling (800) 433-1790 ($25 booking fee applies) or visiting AA.com/rainbow (no booking fee and please remove the preceding “A” when booking online).
- We are proud to partner with Delta Airlines. The Delta Airlines discount code NMGKC is are good for 10% off and applies to flights into Los Cabos (SJD). Dates of travel are March 30 – April 19, 2014. Airfare can be booked no earlier than 11 months before the trip. This reservation can be booked by calling (800) 328-1111 ($25 booking fee applies), visiting delta.com/booking (no booking fee) or calling your travel agent (if applicable) and mentioning the discount codes.
- Olivia’s preferred travel agency
- We are happy to partner with Panorama Travel, which provides excellent service and competitive airfares. As a full service agency, they do charge a fee for the service of booking your air or add-ons. For a small fee, they can also assist you with using your frequent flyer miles for free tickets and upgrades. You can reach them at 800-523-0093 or 503-682-6800.
- One of the advantages of dealing with a Travel Agency who books your ticket is having assistance while traveling. This becomes extremely helpful when there are flight cancellations or delays in travel; you can call the agency for faster service. For many, it is well worth the additional fee which starts from $75, depending on cost of fare/package. /dd>
- Luggage allowances
- While there is no luggage limit on the cruise itself, airlines often restrict (or charge) for excess baggage. Because each airline is different, and the regulations change over time, please check with your airline for baggage allowances.
- Transfers and Meeting up with Olivia
- Getting to your ship
- You will be greeted at approximately 6:00pm at La Paz airport or approximately 2:30pm at Los Cabos Airport and transferred to the ship. Specific meeting time will be indicated in your trip documents, which will be sent to you three to four weeks prior to the trip.
- Ship Check-in will begin at 5:00pm.
During your trip
- National Geographic Lindblad Expeditions’ Sea Bird
- The National Geographic Lindblad Expeditions’ Sea Bird ship amenities include:
- 1 restaurant
- Accommodations for 62 passengers
- Observation deck
- Sun deck
- Lex Spa with masseuse
- All staterooms are basic yet comfortably appointed (there are no TV’s, clocks or phones in the rooms)
- Open Seating Policy
The entire dining area is open seating for all meals. Dining Room hours will be posted in the Daily Program.
There is one restaurant on board. Breakfast and lunch are generally served “buffet or family-style” with a choice of three different entrees served for dinner (usually a meat, fish, or vegetarian). Most all dietary needs can be accommodated with advanced notice, including Vegan.
- The entire ship operates on US electrical current, 110 volts, 60 cycles.
- There are no elevators on the ship. Guests must be able to navigate very steep stairwells.
- Gratuities are included in the cost of your trip. Gratuities go to the naturalists, cabin stewardess, dining room staff and other behind-the-scenes crew members.
- Internet / e-mail / fax
- Internet access is available on board. You can purchase cards in 30 minute increments
- Laundry and dry cleaning
- Please note the ship does not have laundry facilities on board.
- Medical services
- There is a doctor on board. Your first visit is complimentary.
- Money: Paying for things on board
- Upon embarkation, you will register a credit card to your shipboard account in order to charge drinks, services, etc. You will not be able to get cash advances through your credit card; however, you will be able to cash traveler’s checks.
- No telephones are available on board except for emergencies. There are a few stops in local towns where you can make calls, if needed. Cell service depends on your carrier and locations. Some of the more remote locations do not have service.
- Smoking policy
- The ship is completely non-smoking except for the aft area of the exterior Upper Deck. Smoking is not permitted indoors, including cabins.
- Solo Travelers
- We average a few solo travelers on these trips who mix and mingle with everyone. For a trip this small, there are no solo coordinators. You can start to meet other solo travelers online at the official Olivia trip group.
- Special Diets and Special Needs
- If you have any medical, mobility needs, or specific dietary requirements that you have not already advised your travel consultant about, please visit the travel preferences page to update your personal needs information. Please advise us of this information as soon as possible but no less than 90 days prior to the trip.
- Special Occasions
- If you have any celebrations and birthdays during the trip that you have not already advised your travel consultant about, please let us know of this information as soon as possible but no less than 90 days prior to the trip.
- Spa services
- Standard spa treatments such as massage are available. Information on pricing and amenities are on board.
After Your Trip
We disembark after breakfast for our transfers to Los Cabos or La Paz airport. If going to La Paz airport, we will include a short tour of La Paz, with a Mexican-style lunch before transferring you to the airport. For those going to Los Cabos, we transfer you directly to the Los Cabos airport for your flights.
We do not offer extenders for this sailing. However, if you are interested in extending your stay in Los Cabos or La Paz, we recommend contacting our partner travel agency, Panorama Travel, to assist you with your plans at (800) 523-0093.
Didn’t find what you are looking for? Check out our Olivia travel FAQ. Or call us at 800.631.6277