About Our Destination
- Argentina uses the Argentine Peso (ARS). Uruguay uses the Uruguayan Peso (UYU). Brazil uses the Brazilian Real (BRL).
- Argentina and Uruguay – Spanish, Brazil – Portuguese
- Being Gay in Argentina, Uruguay and Brazil
- Argentina, Uruguay and Brazil are the three most gay- and lesbian-friendly countries in South America. Argentina, and most recently Uruguay, have both legalized same-sex marriage. Brazil, more specifically Rio de Janeiro, has been named the most popular gay destination in the world. It is not uncommon to see couples holding hands in any of these countries.
- The climate in Buenos Aires, Montevideo and Punta del Este will range between 73°F-85°F (17°C-23°C) during the day and 65°F-73°F (9°C-15°C) at night. The climate in Brazil will range between 85°F-94°F (17°C-23°C) during the day and 73°F-77°F (9°C-15°C) at night. The rainy season is during their summer season, December through April, so be sure to pack a light rain jacket.
- Tuesday, January 21 – Buenos Aires, Argentina – depart 6 pm
- Wednesday, January 22 – Montevideo, Uruguay – 8 am to 11 pm
- Thursday, January 23 – Punta del Este – 7 am to 12 pm
- Friday, January 24 – At Sea
- Saturday, January 25 – Santos, Brazil – 2 pm to 8 pm
- Sunday, January 26 – Parati, Brazil – 8 am to 11 pm
- Monday, January 27 – Rio de Janeiro, Brazil – 8 am (overnight)
- Tuesday, January 28 – Rio de Janeiro, Brazil – Disembark 8 am
See our Vacation Stretchers tab for information regarding our pre-cruise and post-cruise vacation stretchers.
Before Your Trip
- What’s Included and What’s Not
- What is included?
- Accommodations for 8 days/7 nights on the elegant and luxurious Silversea Silver Cloud
- All meals on board, including room service
- All beverages including fine wines, champagnes, spirits, bottled water, specialty coffees and soft drinks
- Butler service and twice-daily suite service with nightly turndown
- Olivia’s signature entertainment and programming
- Olivia staff assistance throughout
- What's not included?
- Boutique, casino and spa services
- Internet access, phone and other incidentals
- A wide menu of optional excursions in all ports of call (extra charge)
- Travel documentation and identification
- You will need a passport that is valid for six months past the date of the trip. If you are not a U.S. citizen, please check with both your country’s consulate and the consulates of the countries we will be visiting to make sure that you do not need an entry visa or other additional documentation.
- U.S. citizens entering Brazil will need to obtain a tourist visa; we recommend genvisa.com to assist with the visa process.
- U.S. citizens entering Argentina must pay a Reciprocity Fee prior to departing the U.S. This is not a visa, since a visa is not required for U.S. tourist visitors. For instructions on how to pay your fee online, please click here. The fee for U.S. citizens is currently $160.
- Please note that Canadian and Australian citizens are also required to pay a Reciprocity Fee prior to departing your country. For instructions on how to pay your fee online, please click here. The fee for Canadian citizens currently ranges from $75 to $ 150 and the fee for Australian citizens is currently $100.
- If you are not a U.S. citizen, please check with both your country’s consulate and the consulates of the countries we will be visiting to make sure that you do not need an entry visa or other additional documentation.
- Please check with your local Public Health Department or personal physician regarding immunization requirements for all countries on your itinerary. You may also check the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s website at: www.cdc.gov. Just click on "Traveler’s Health" and then "Vaccinations."
- Travel insurance
- We encourage all guests to purchase travel insurance. Olivia has partnered with Travel Guard to make things easier for you; you can now add travel insurance when you book your trip, all in one call. In order to receive the most comprehensive coverage, please purchase your insurance within 15 days of your initial invoice. If you have questions about Olivia’s travel insurance, call (800) 631-6277 option 1 to talk to one of our travel consultants.
- Joining the Olivia.com trip group
- If you’d like to chat with people who are going on the trip, sign up for the official Olivia trip group. You can also join Olivia’s Buenos Aires to Rio Cruise 2014 Official group page on Facebook.
Travel and arrival
- Air travel
- Where to fly into/out of
- You will need to fly into Buenos Aires Ezeiza International Airport (EZE) and out of Rio de Janeiro Galeão International Airport (GIG). We encourage all passengers to arrive at least one day early to avoid the stress of unexpected delays. See our Vacation Stretcher tab to sign up for our pre-cruise package.
- Suggested departure times
- You will need to fly out of Rio de Janeiro International Airport (GIG). We suggest you book your flight after 12 noon on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 to allow enough time to transfer to the airport. See our Vacation Stretcher tab to sign up for our post-cruise package.
- We are proud to partner with American Airlines. The AA discount code A1114AA is good for 7% off and applies to flights into Buenos Aires, Argentina (EZE) and out of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (GIG). Dates of travel are January 18-31, 2014. Airfare can be booked no earlier than 11 months before the trip. "Open jaws" are allowed between Buenos Aires (EZE) and Rio de Janeiro (GIG). This reservation can only be booked by calling (800) 433-1790 ($25 booking fee applies).
- Olivia’s preferred travel agency
- We are happy to partner with Panorama Travel, which provides excellent service and competitive airfares. For a small fee, they can also assist you with using your frequent flyer miles for free tickets and upgrades, as well as get competitive hotel rates. You can reach them at 800-523-0093 or 503-682-6800.
- Luggage allowances
- While there is no luggage limit on the cruise itself, airlines often restrict (or charge) for excess baggage. Because each airline is different, and the regulations change over time, please check with your airline for baggage allowances.
- Transfers and Meeting up with Olivia
- Getting to / from your ship
- Airport transfers from Buenos Aires (EZE) airport to the ship and the ship to Rio de Janeiro (GIG) airport on arrival and departure day are not included. The Buenos Aires (EZE) airport is approximately 22 miles and a 45 minute taxi ride to the Port of Buenos Aires. The Port of Rio de Janeiro is approximately 10 miles and a 30 minute taxi ride to the Rio de Janeiro (GIG) airport.
- Buenos Aires Port Information
Terminal de Pasajeros Benito Quinquela Martin
Av. Ramón Castillo y Av. de los Inmigrantes
- Rio de Janeiro Port Information
Av Rodrigues Alves, 10 - Centro
Rio de Janeiro - RJ - Brazil 20081-250
- Embarkation and check-in will be available at 1pm and all aboard is 1 hour prior to departure at 6pm.
During your trip
- Silversea’s Silver Cloud Ship Amenities
- The Silversea’s Silver Cloud is an intimate 296-passenger ship with the following amenities:
- The Bar Casino
- Le Champagne Wine Restaurant
- La Terrazza
- The Restaurant
- Show Lounge
- Panorama Lounge
- Card Room
- Pool Bar & Grill
- Fitness Center
- Connoisseur’s Corner
- Internet Café
- The Spa at Silversea
- Beauty Salon
- Suite Amenities
- Butler Service
- Fresh or dried fruit upon request
- Refrigerator and bar setup stocked with your preferences and replenished as you desire
- Down duvets, fine bed linens, firm or soft mattresses, and a choice of nine pillow types
- Italian marble bathroom with full-size bath and European bath amenities
- Plush robes and slippers
- Personalized stationary
- Expedition binoculars & umbrella
- Flat-screen TVs, interactive video, on-demand movies and music and satellite news programming
- Wi-Fi Internet access (fee applies)
- Daily suite service with nightly turndown
- The Restaurant
- The Restaurant, sparkling with silver, crystal and candlelight, encircles its guests with sophisticated elegance and impeccable service.
- La Terrazza
- La Terrazza offers a divine selection of Italy’s best cuisine and is served à la carte. Authentic recipes and the freshest ingredients come together with flair and passion – a flavourful expression of Silversea’s distinctive Italian heritage that embraces the principals of the Slow Food movement.
- Le Champange
- Le Champange is the only wine restaurant by Relais & Châteaux at sea and only can be found on board the ships of Silversea. Indulge in an evening where fine wines are complemented by a set tasting menu of regionally inspired dishes in an intimate, elegant setting.
- Pool Bar & Grill
- Pool Bar & Grill is casual and convenient. At the Pool Bar, cocktails are served alongside soft ocean breezes. Poolside menu options feature healthy CruiseLite selections and light fare for lunch and dinner and includes grilled meats and fresh-from-the-oven pizza.
- Cabins are equipped with one standard U.S. 110 and European 220 volt outlet.
- Excursions may be booked up to 30 days in advance. Your booking number and detailed instructions on how to book shore excursions will be emailed to you.
- Gratuities are included in the cost of the cruise. Gratuities are provided for your cabin steward, dining room steward, bus person, maître d’ and other behind-the-scenes crew members.
- Internet / e-mail / fax
- There is an Internet center on board; minute plans are available. Pricing will be posted on board. Guests may also bring their own laptops and purchase an Internet wireless plan on board.
- Laundry and dry cleaning
- Laundry, pressing and dry cleaning service is available on board. Check on board for pricing. There is also a complimentary service launderette on board.
- Medical services
- There is an onboard infirmary. Medical services entail an additional fee.
- Money: Paying for things on board
- On board, the currency is $USD. All purchases made on the ship will be charged to your onboard account, which you create when you first check in. Please check with the front office on board for further details.
- Each cabin has a phone. There is an additional fee to use this phone; cost is available on board.
- Smoking policy
- Smoking is not permitted in any of the staterooms or public spaces, including all restaurants and corridors. Smoking is permitted on the outside decks in designated smoking areas only.
- Spa services
- There is a spa on board. Massages and other services are available for an additional fee.
- Solo travelers
- We will have a solos program on board, led by a solos coordinator who will ensure you have a great time.
After Your Trip
Transfers to the airport
For those going directly to the airport we recommend purchasing a transfer on board. The airport in Rio de Janeiro (GIG) is approximately a 30 minute drive from the Port of Rio de Janeiro. Please allow enough time when booking your return flight.
Pre- and post-trip stretcher packages are available for purchase! To view vacation extenders, click here.
Didn’t find what you are looking for? Check out our Olivia travel FAQ. Or call us at 800.631.6277